Frequently Asked Questions

All of your questions about scrapping your car, answered!

Find out everything you need to know about selling your scrap car with CarTakeBack. Choose one of the frequently asked questions below to see the answer. If you can’t find what you’re looking for please contact us.

Your scrap car quote

To calculate what your scrap car is worth, we’ll need your registration and Eircode. If you don’t have these details you’ll be able to enter your details manually. We may also ask you some questions about your car’s condition. If you’re unable to answer any questions, we may make some assumptions. Your answers and our assumptions will be shown to you alongside your quote. In addition, your car must meet certain minimum requirements.

We’ll use this information to give you the best price available for your scrap car from competing CarTakeBack branches in your local area.

When we provide a quote, it will be based on the following minimum requirements:

  • you are able to provide photographic ID and proof of address;
  • your car is free of all finance charges, such as a hire purchase or loan agreement;
  • your car is free from any additional waste, such as litter, refuse or rubbish;
  • your car is powered by a petrol, diesel, electric or hybrid powertrain as originally manufactured;
  • your car (or light van) has no more than 9 seats (i.e. not a motorbike or HGV); and
  • your car is accessible (in the case of a collection) meaning that it is parked on solid ground with inflated tyres, so that it can be safely winched onto a recovery vehicle.

If any of the above criteria are not true, the instant quote initially provided may need to be revised. You’ll be given the opportunity to provide further details.

We may ask you some questions about your car’s condition such as:

  • What’s the approximate mileage?
  • Do you have the keys?
  • Has it ever been written off?
  • Does it start and drive?

If you’re unable to answer any questions, we may make some assumptions about your car’s condition. Your answers and our assumptions will be shown to you alongside your quote.

These questions are in addition to the minimum requirements.

The condition of your car

CarTakeBack branches buy cars and vans of any age, in any condition. It doesn’t matter if your car is roadworthy with plenty of miles left on the clock, or it has a high mileage, it’s failed its NCT or it’s beyond repair and ready to be scrapped – our buyers will compete to offer you the best price.

No, we buy damaged cars. However, we may ask for information about the extent of any damage. These explanations should help you.

Major damage means the car has been damaged due to incidents such as an accident, collision, fire, flood, act of theft or vandalism.

Wear and tear means reasonable minor issues for the age of the car, which may include rust, small dents and scratches but no major damage.

Undamaged means there’s no visible wear and tear or damage.

After you’ve got your quote you’ll have the opportunity to discuss your quote and provide further details.

No, we buy cars that have missing parts. However, we may ask for information about any missing parts. You should declare any missing major parts to us as this can affect your quote.

These explanations should help you.

Your car is complete if all minor and major parts are present. Don’t worry about the odd missing wheel trim, interior trim, body trim, badge, parcel shelf, aerial, spare wheel or aftermarket audio player, but these should not be excessive in number.

Major parts are those which may have a value when recycled, such as the engine, electronic control unit, gearbox, bodywork, seats, battery, catalytic converter and wheels. The catalytic converter must be an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) version, as opposed to an aftermarket replacement.

Minor parts are the essential components needed to pass an MOT, such as the lights, mirrors, wipers, steering, braking, suspension, safety and emissions components.

After you’ve got your quote you’ll have the opportunity to discuss your quote and provide further details.

No, we buy cars that have a high mileage.

No, we buy cars without keys. However, if you’ve told us your car starts and drives, you’ll need to provide the keys.

Yes, you need your Vehicle Registration Certificate to scrap your car and receive your Certificate of Destruction. If you have misplaced it, don’t worry, you can get a new one using form RF134.

In May 2004 the Government changed the name for car registration documents from “Vehicle Licensing Certificate” to “Vehicle Registration Certificate”. If your certificate was issued before this date, your document may be called a Licensing Certificate.

No, we buy cars that have been written off by an insurance company. After you’ve got your quote you’ll have the opportunity to provide further details.

No, we buy cars that don’t start and drive. By telling us that your car starts and drives you’re declaring that there are no mechanical or electrical problems. After you’ve got your quote you’ll have the opportunity to discuss your quote and provide further details.

No, your car doesn’t need to have a valid National Car Test (NCT) certificate. As it may be unsafe, or even illegal, to drive a car on public roads without a valid NCT certificate, we recommend that you arrange for us to collect your car.

No, we buy cars without service history.

No, we don’t accept cars with outstanding finance. You’ll need to settle this before you accept the quote.

Car makers are required to fit cars with a catalytic converter that can last for at least 8 years or 80,000 miles from the date of sale. This is described by the industry as an Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) catalytic converter.

Aftermarket producers of catalytic converters don’t have to fulfil the same standards, so the used part is not always suitable to be resold. They also don’t often contain the same precious metals as an OEM one, which hold a value and can be recycled.

If your car has been fitted with an aftermarket catalytic converter, you should declare it when you get a quote as it will affect the price.

Selling your scrap car

When your scrap car is collected or you drop it off at a local branch, you’ll need to have a few things ready:

  1. your reference number or a copy of your quote (either on paper or your mobile);
  2. your identification;
  3. your keys, if you have them;
  4. your documents (such as the registration certificate, service history, NCT certificate and manuals) if you have them;
  5. and finally, don’t forget to remove any personal belongings and rubbish.

On the day we’ll:

  1. check that your car matches your quote;
  2. check and take a copy of your identification;
  3. take care of the paperwork;
  4. sort out the payment.

If you have more than three months of tax remaining on your car, you can get a refund from your local Motor Tax Office.

Your reference number uses the format ‘CC-0000-000000’. We’ll give this to you when you get a quote and it will be shown on any emails we send to you. Your reference number makes it easier for us to pull up your details, and guarantees the price we’ve quoted.

No, we’ll try our best to collect your car even if it’s in a difficult location. However, unless you tell us otherwise we’ll assume that your car is accessible.

Accessible means that your car is parked on solid ground with inflated tyres, so that it can be safely winched onto a recovery vehicle. It is important for you to tell us if your car is not accessible, for example if your car is blocked in, the steering is locked or the tyres are flat, as this could affect the collection of your car and the validity of the quote.

If you tell us that your car might not be accessible after we’ve provided a quote, we’ll let you know whether or not we need to adjust the price. If we do adjust the price, there’s no obligation for you to go ahead.

Where there is a payment to be made by us, you will be paid for your car with cash, bank transfer or cheque. Please let us know if you have a preference when you get your quote and we’ll try to meet your request.

You’ll usually be paid on the day of collection, however with some branches and banks it may take up to two working days. You should contact our Customer Services Team or local branch if you haven’t received payment after two days of your car being collected.

To cancel or rearrange collection, you need to call or email us. Ideally let us know at least 24 hours before the scheduled collection. To cancel or rearrange, you’ll need to let us know your name and registration or reference number. If you’re cancelling, we like to know the reason to help improve our service.

Documentation and regulations

Your Vehicle Registration Certificate (called “Vehicle Licencing Certificate” if issued before May 2004) should be handed over along with your car.

You need your Vehicle Registration Certificate (called “Vehicle Licensing Certificate” if issued before May 2004) to be able to scrap your car.

Don’t worry if you haven’t got one, you can get a replacement by filling in form RF134 and taking it to a Garda station to be signed. You then simply need to send it to your local Motor Tax Office.

Download form RF134 to get a replacement Vehicle Registration Certificate from the Government website >

Download a list of Motor Tax Offices from the Government website >

As long as you receive a Certificate of Destruction, there’s no need for you to contact the Department of Transport in Shannon.

However, if your car is to be repaired and returned to the road it’s your responsibility to notify the Department of Transport using form RF105.

A Certificate of Destruction is an official Department of Transport document which is issued by the CarTakeBack branch when they recycle your scrap car. The National Vehicle and Driver File will be updated to show that your car has been correctly disposed of and recycled, meaning that you’re no longer responsible for it. You should sign and keep hold of the certificate for your records.

An official Certificate of Destruction has:

  • the Government of Ireland logo at the top;
  • Gaelic translations of all sections;
  • ‘Certificate of Destruction’ in the header;
  • a unique 6 digit certificate number (COD);
  • the date that the certificate was issued (Date of Issue); and
  • the signature of a representative of the scrap car recycling centre (Authorised Treatment Facility) which accepted your car.

Image of a Certificate of Destruction

If the Department of Transport (DoT) records are not updated correctly, you could get a fine, be liable for any Motor Tax charges and traffic offence penalties, and even be liable to prosecution.

The Certificate of Destruction is proof that DoT has been notified correctly that your car has been recycled.

If your car is to be repaired and returned to the road, you’ll need to fill in a form to update the Department of Transport’s records >

Yes, when you sell your old car we’ll need to see a current photocard driving licence to confirm your name, date of birth and residential address.

If you don’t have a photocard driving licence, you can instead show another form of photo ID, along with separate proof of your address.

If there’s a minimum of three complete months of Motor Tax left on your car, you can get a refund for any complete months that remain.

Applications for refunds of Motor Tax can be made to you local Motor Tax Office, using form RF120, which should be authorised at a Garda Station. You should send the form to your local Motor Tax Office, along with your Certificate of Destruction.

The End of Life Vehicle regulations apply to scrap cars and vans that have a gross vehicle weight of up to 3,500kg. (End of life vehicle, or ELV, is another name for what’s normally known as a scrap car, junk car, breaker or salvage vehicle).

The regulations were designed to reduce the impact that scrap cars have on the environment.

They were introduced in Ireland in 2006 and require scrap cars to be depolluted before destruction. This involves the removal of fluids, tyres, batteries and hazardous materials, before any of the remaining parts or materials can be reused or recycled. Depollution can only be carried out at Authorised Treatment Facilities (ATFs) holding the appropriate environmental permit.

An obligation is placed on last owners to dispose of their car using an ATF, which must issue a Certificate of Destruction.

As of 2015, 95% of the weight of each car must also be recycled.

View information on the End Of Life Vehicle Regulations and read a copy of them on the Irish Government’s Citizen’s Information website >

All businesses that handle scrap cars, which means car dismantlers, scrap yards, junk yards, salvage yards and breakers, have to obtain an Authorised Treatment Facility (ATF) Waste Licence, or Waste Permit, from their local authorities. It’s the responsibility of the local authorities to carry out regular visits to ensure compliance with the regulations.

All of CarTakeBack’s scrap car recycling centres hold a valid ATF Waste Licence, or ATF Waste Permit.

The standards required by the permit and licence were set by the Department of the Environment, Community & Local Government. They require businesses to invest substantially in buildings and equipment, concrete surfaces and sealed drainage systems. This is needed to stop toxic chemicals leaking into the ground where they could end up polluting the ground and water supplies.

Only sites holding an Authorised Treatment Facility Waste Permit or Waste Licence can register with the Department of Transport (DoT) in Shannon, which enables them to issue you with a Certificate of Destruction.

About CarTakeBack

CarTakeBack is an international scrap car recycling company. We specialise in buying scrap cars, as well as cars with high mileage, NCT failures, damaged, broken and faulty cars, plus old cars with some miles still left in them. We’ll find you the best price for your old car, with the option of a car collection service or local drop off.

We run the biggest scrap car recycling network in the UK. We have introduced our services to Ireland, Australia and New Zealand, bringing a modern approach to the industry, focused on great customer service.

Our customer services team is on hand to offer loads of help and advice along the way.

Find out more about CarTakeBack >

As well as providing a service to the public, we also work with businesses, such as car dealerships, auction houses and NCT centres.

Find out more about how CarTakeBack can support your business with car scrappage >

No, unfortunately we do not sell spare parts.

We always appreciate hearing comments from our customers. If you have any comments or suggestions about our service then please feel free to contact us. We’ll only publish your review if you’ve given us your permission.

We have press releases, media information and contact details for our press officer on our media page.

Finding you the
best price...

Working on it...

Refreshing your quote...

Accepting your quote...

Loading your account...