Your Logbook Explained

Posted on 11th Oct 2019 by CarTakeBack Posted in: In The Know

What to do with your logbook when you sell your car

When it comes to getting rid of a car, making sure the paperwork is completed correctly is really important. So here’s how we can help, and everything you need to know about what to do with your cars logbook when you sell it…

When you scrap your car with CarTakeBack, the Department of Transport in Shannon is notified and you’ll be sent an official Certificate of Destruction. This is proof that your car has been scrapped and will free you from any responsibility for the car. But before all that happens you need to be able to produce your logbook to sell the car to us legally.

Can I sell my car if I don’t have my logbook?

You’ll need your logbook to be able to sell your car. Not to worry though, you can get a replacement using form RF134 and taking it to a Garda station to be signed. You then need to complete the form and send it to your local Motor Tax Office.

Download form RF134 to get a replacement Vehicle Registration Certificate from the Government website >

See a list of Motor Tax Offices on the Government website >

What to do with your logbook when you sell your scrap car, step-by-step guide:

Step 1

Whether your car is going to be scrapped or re-used, legally we have to have your Logbook to take the car. A logbook is officially known as a Vehicle Registration Certificate (VRC), or Vehicle Licensing Certificate if it was issued before May 2004.

Photo of an Irish logbook

Step 2

If your car is being returned to the road, as well as handing over your logbook, you’ll need to notify the Department of Transport that you’ve sold your car. Our recycling centre will supply you with the appropriate form and help you to fill it in (including their valid garage code).

If your car was registered after 1st January 1993 you’ll be given form RF105, which you should send to the Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division. The Driver and Vehicle Computer Services Division is part of the Department of Transport Tourism and Sport (DTTAS). This government agency maintains Ireland’s National Vehicle and Driver File (NVDF), which is a database of all the registered vehicles, owners and licensed drivers in the country. Your Logbook is what keeps the NVDF up-to-date!

If your car was registered before 1993, you’ll be given form RF200, which you should send to your local Motor Tax Office.

Step 3

Now all the paperwork is sorted! If you buy a new or used vehicle you’ll be sent a new logbook and now you know how important that document is. So make sure it gets filed away safely for the future, whether you sell the car privately, or you keep it long enough that you want us to scrap it for you!

Driver and customer sorting paperwork with car on collection truck

Finding you the
best price...

Working on it...

Refreshing your quote...

Accepting your quote...

Loading your account...